Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ?

4 posters

Go down

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ? Empty Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ?

Post  lunastar Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey,
I just got myself a small Moon Cup and already had a large Keeper.

I have a question : on the Moon Cup it says that it must be boiled for 20 minutes between each period ! Shocked that seems so huge for me !

and it also says that I must not boil the Keeper, that it's not good for the rubber !

Please American girls tell me if you boil pour Keeper and your Moon Cup and if you do, how log do you do it ? Shall I boil it 5 minutes like a Lunette or a Diva, or is it different ? confused

lunastar

http://www.easycup.fr/

Back to top Go down

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ? Empty Re: Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ?

Post  Melissa569 Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:51 am

Regardless of the cup brand, I boil it for 5 minutes. In that kind of heat, I just can't see anything surviving. My husband works as a manager in the food industry, and he had to take the "Serve Safe" exam (managers have to read the Safe Serve book and pass the exam, as a requirement). I read the book one night when he brought it home to study, and it basically demands that cooked servable food (like in a buffet, or a pot of soup on the stove) be kept at a minimum of 140 degrees F. to prevent the growth of bacteria. But water's boiling point is around 212 degrees F. So if bacteria cannot survive in 140 degrees (even a human can only survive up to 130 degrees), then 212 degrees for 5 minutes will certainly do the trick. I know I certainly couldn't survive that, lol.

However, I have also seen reference to the fact that 20 minutes of boiling will kill even dormant bacteria. So I guess it just depends what the company recomends, as all the silicone from company to company may be slightly different.

In regards to the latex Keeper not being boiled... I confess, I did boil mine once before I tested it once. Its still the same, but maybe I just got lucky, lol. I won't do it in the future though, I guess I'll just use soap on it.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ? Empty Re: Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ?

Post  radianceunveiled Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:40 pm

I have the Keeper cup and I never boil it. I use 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water after my cycle. Also I don't soak it either I spray it down with the mix and then let air dry. I was told by Keeper Inc. you can boil it but it will not last as long if you do that. They recommend hot soap water and a little vinegar and water mix for both their cups to rinse. No soaking but if you must don't do it for more than two minutes.
radianceunveiled
radianceunveiled

http://www.radianceunveiled.com

Back to top Go down

Post  msmith_1221 Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:13 pm

I have both the Keeper and the Moon cup. I had heard that boiling the Moon cup would be ok every month. And after a year doing that the cup changed colors, it had almost a white color to it. The silicone was damaged by boiling it. I wont ever boil a cup like that again. I stick to washing with soap and water now. With the Keeper I have noticed that when you first get it there is that fine layer of white powder. I couldn't fully get it off, so I did put it in a cup of water for 2 min in the microwave just to get it off. I had an allergic reaction to that white stuff. But not after I gave it a tiny boil. I'm not sure what the white stuff is, my husband said it might be like the stuff in rubber gloves. I love the Keeper and the Moon cups, they are the best cups I have ever tried.
I would love to know if anyone else had issues with the powder on the Keeper.

msmith_1221

Back to top Go down

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ? Empty Residue on Keeper Cup

Post  radianceunveiled Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi,
I had a white residue on my Keeper cup when I first got it. In fact all the cups have that as I sell them. I never boil any of the Keeper cups or Keeper moon cup. I always cleaned it with hot soapy water and I did the Vinegar mix a couple of times as per manufactures instructions. Mainly I use hot soapy water rinse really well and that is it. I never had a reaction to the white film but after giving it a good wash the first time with hot soapy water and rinsing it, it was gone. Hope that helps if you have any questions let me know.
radianceunveiled
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Post  msmith_1221 Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:20 am

I'm glad to hear that it's not just the cup I have that had that on it. I cant handle really hot water on my fingers, that's why I used the quick boil. I don't plan on ever doing it again. Thanks for responding.

msmith_1221

Back to top Go down

Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup ? Empty Boiling the Keeper & the Moon Cup

Post  radianceunveiled Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:22 am

No problem glad to be of help. Have you ever thought of wearing the rubber dishwashing gloves to help protect your fingers from hot water when washing your cup or dishes? Just a thought Smile I know they are thick and have lining in them so that helps I use to wear those to wash dishes as the water would be sooo hot.
radianceunveiled
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down