Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas about UTI's

2 posters

Go down

Ideas about UTI's Empty Ideas about UTI's

Post  Kammioderin Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Ok, so granted I don't have the experience to really be an expert on the whole cup thing, but in my lurking I've seen that there are several UTI concerns with cup usage. I myself seem to be prone to UTI's lately (four since September) and at the tail end of my last cycle, the first one with a cup, I started to get the little tingly feeling I get before it starts acting like a full blown infection. I immediately started popping cranberry supplements and washing them down with 100% cranberry juice. Tingling stopped and no further symptoms showed themselves. I figure just to be on the safe side, I'll probably start having a morning routine during my cycle of having a glass of cranberry juice or taking a supplement daily just to be sure the nasty UTI doesn't pop up.

Just figured I'd post my plan of attack here for anyone else who might have the same issues.
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Ideas about UTI's Empty Re: Ideas about UTI's

Post  Melissa569 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:01 am

That's a good idea, that and taking garlic supplimente (Garlicin is the best, it has the highest Alicin absorbancy rate). Alicin is the component in a garlic suppliment that acts as a natural ntibiotic, which is actually comparable to Penicillin. But its safer than many doctor-administered antibiotics, because it only kills BAD bacteria, not good bacteria. You need to keep your good bacteria, because that is what keeps you safe from yeast infections (which is why many people develop a yeast infection after recieving an antibiotic from the doctor).

In the old days, nurses used to crush an entire bulb of fresh garlic and spred it over the wounds of soldiers, which healed them faster and killed germs.

You can also eat garlic... But you would have to eat it raw. When you cook garlic, the alicin is taken out. You would have to eat A LOT of raw garlic to be successful too. Hence why in order to get high enough counts of Alicin to fight infection, most people prefer the suppliment.

As for UTI and a possible connection to cups... I'm not sure if its connected to them, per se, I think its more related to "anything" being inserted in the vagina. Many women get them after having sex for too long at once, or tampons, or toys, etc. Its because the urethra is bsiclly sitting on the front outer edge of the vagina, so whatever goes in with brush against the urethra. UTI's are almost always irritation-based. At least at first.

For this reason, its a very good idea to be very gentle during insertion and removal. Use a smaller fold (punch-down, 7, triangle, oregami) if it causes you to feel it less. And see if you can ease out the rim one edge at a time, preferable on the left or right side first (rather than in the top/front, because that's of course where the urethra is), and then quickly ease it upright. These tricks cut down on all the rubbing against the urethra. Then of course, if your cup is too long for you, and irritates your urethra while you wear it, either flip it inside-out, or try a shorter cup.

As for sexual contact, women who urinate right after having sex are less likely to have UTI's, so I imagine it can be prevented by flushing things out.

Hope that helps Smile

M
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kammioderin Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 am

I didn't know about the garlic supplements as an internal form of infection fighting. I just knew that one of the things in cranberries made it more difficult for nasties to stick to the urinary tract walls which is why it's good for UTI's.

I hadn't read much about the use of cranberries on the LJ page which is why I thought I'd post it here. I also don't think that UTI's are caused by the cup, but that would be the time of my life that I'd be down messing with my bits the most often so I figure the extra berries won't hurt, and hopefully help a lot. Just another preventative thing aside from being clean and gentle.

So with garlic supplements, do you tend to get the nasty garlic sweat with it? I don't know if it's only while eating actual garlic or if it would happen while swallowing a couple capsules.
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 am

Oh sure cranberries will help, infection or now. They are a great preventer. I myself take a pretty powerful cranberry suppliment every day.

With the garlic tablets-- most brands today have extracted all the garlic taste and smell, so it will have no effect on those who use it (breath, sweat, after taste, etc.). In the old days (and with some very cheap-charlie brands) they were very garlicy. Even fish oil capsules are no longer "fishy" today. They are figuring out all kinds of neat tricks Smile . The "Garlicin" brand really is one of the best brands I know of. I found it at the Raley's supermarket, in the "natural foods" department. Most other brands, the Alicin get burned up in your stomach, and you don't absorb much. But Garlicin has a special coating to prevent that from happening, and allow maximum absorbancy. I imagine it may be available in health food stores too. Very Happy
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum