Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Soft" cups?

4 posters

Go down

"Soft" cups? Empty "Soft" cups?

Post  Ravna Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 am

I don't know what they are called, these big "soft" cups. Just saw your video about it, Melissa, and it made me curious. I would like to try, but where can I get them? I have never seen them in Norway, where I live, so I guess I'll have to order them from internet, like I did wth my Mooncup.

Ravna

Back to top Go down

"Soft" cups? Empty Re: "Soft" cups?

Post  Melissa569 Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 am

Ah, you mean the "Instead" softcups? The ones that work just like a diaphragm? If they don't sell them near you in drug stores, or stores with a pad/tampon section, then you can probably order some online. eBay sellers carry them, probably amazon as well.

You can also get them from the softcup website. Here is their order form, you can get a 24-count box for $10.49 or you can get a sample pack for $2.50 :

http://store.softcup.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=softcup&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=894573390&Count2=811713814

Hope that helps,

Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravna Sat May 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Yep, that's the one I mean. Thank you Smile

No, they have not got them here, not even in drug stores Sad In fact it seems like almost no-one know anything about menstrual cups of any kind here. My doctor said she had never heard og it. I asked in a drug store about the best way to clean my cup, but it ended up with me explaining the concept of a menstrual cup to the woman who worked there...

Ravna

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sun May 16, 2010 1:49 am

You are not alone, even in the United States, very few doctors or nurses know about them. Its not because its a bad thing... Its because the companies are small, and the products are expensive. So most of the money has to go into the product, and not for advertizing.

Also, cups are slightly unconventional-- by modern standards, anyway. Of course for most of the past 10,000 years, women have used washable products, and done perfectly well with them... But the modern woman has been a bit pampered with disposable "everything" over the past century...

True, Insteads are disposable too, but the still follow the unconventional (but wonderful) "cup" concept.

Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravna Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 am

I decided to buy some soft cups from the link you posted, but it turned out that they could not ship to Norway. Well, then I'll try e Bay.

I want to try these cups because I have the feeling that the chance that they will displace if I'm really active is smaller than with my mooncup. It is usually not a problem, but it has happened a few times when I have got up in the morning (probably because I have done something wrong, but anyway...). Do you think that's right?

The really sad thing about so few people knowing about menstrual cups (except that a lot of women will never get the chance to try them, because thy don't know that they exist), is the reason you mention: it seems to be very unconventional. A lot of woman seems to be almost shocked, and quite disgusted, when they hear about it. I am getting a bit tired of that "Oh, my God, that sounds sooo disgusting! And how disgusting are you??"-reaction. And then, when they have gotten uses to the thought of the concept, they find out that maybe it isn't that bad after all...

Ravna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Sun May 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Let us know if you are able to order some of the Insteads! I have not tried them, but they sound pretty neat. Supposedly you can have sex with those cups in - with no mess. For me, that isn't really an issue but I think it's very cool someone came up with a way to make that happen!

And I agree, it is sad that so few people know about menstrual cups. I have a doctors appointment coming up in June, I plan on asking her if she knows about them when I go. I hope at some point, the subject of periods comes up around my friends so that I can try to educate a few people. Razz
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sun May 16, 2010 6:12 pm

True, it is sad how people reject somehting new...

I don't think you did anything wrong with your moon cup (if the problem was leaks?). If it happened first thing in the morning, it sounds like the cup maybe just got too full during the night? How full was it?

If that's the case, you would probably just need something with more flow capacity, or that tends to hold a better seal overnight. The only time I have ever leaked was first thing in the morning (and only one time) during my third cup cycle... I was having an unusually heavy period, and I went to bed without emptying my cup just before... It leaked just a little bit when I got up next morning. But thankfully, I had gotten to the bathroom before it got on any clothes, lol. I've never had it happen again though, as my period gets lighter with more cup use, and I now ALWAYS empty it right before bed.

But still, there are women who need more space in their cup. There are several that hold more. I have a flow capacity video, if you are interested:

Its hard to say how much an Instead Softcup cup holds though, because everyone's body will sqush the bag in different ways... And other types of cups may be easier for you to get.

Hope that helps. Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravna Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, it happened when I got up in the morning (the leaking), but the cup was not more than half-way full. So I think it must have displaced while I was sleeping. Maybe I move a lot in my sleep, what do I know? :/

I have experienced leaking one more time, and then the cup was full. It was the first day of my period, and my flood must have been heavyer than it uses to be.

Ravna

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sat May 29, 2010 7:13 pm

So it usually only happens when you are sleeping? Sounds to me like you might have a low cervix taking up space in your cup and reducing its capacity... Especially overnight, because for many of us with a normal to heavy flow, that's the longest we leave it in.

You can either try setting an alarm to change it once in the middle of the night, and see if that stops it. Or try different sleeping positions. A pad for back up at night could help too. Or later on perhaps, something that holds mroe liquid...

Any luck getting someone to ship Insteads to you?
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  princex Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 am

Hello Ravna,
some weeks ago I was looking for a way to buy Instead cup from Italy.
I found that this is the cheapest on-line store: https://secure.hosts.co.uk/~oochi.biz/instead/public/order_form.php
They send the package from UK, the delivery rate for Europe is very cheap (just 2 pounds). And they are the official retailer for uk.
Ebay and Amazon don't seem to have promotional prices...
At last I didn't buy these cups because I had a great experience with my Mooncup!
I hope this helps, bye.

PS: I love Norway!
princex
princex

Back to top Go down

Post  princex Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 am

gosh!!! Embarassed
I'm one month late! Sorry! Laughing
princex
princex

Back to top Go down