Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another time that cups can rock your world

2 posters

Go down

Another time that cups can rock your world Empty Another time that cups can rock your world

Post  ankhst Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:08 am

We had a major earthquake this morning (about 18 hours ago now)...7.1 on the richter scale. Power, water, sewerage all out for most of the day. We have them back now, but with the caveat of 'we don't know how long they'll last so be frugal.' The whole city seems to have gotten off quite lightly so far (despite noone having slept since 4.30am and the constant after shocks) - no fatalities reported yet and only 2 serous injuries!

So why is this relevant? My friend was just telling me that it's her 'cup week' and that the cup has been a god send because she didn't have to worry about it at all until the water came back on. Now she's just trying to manage emptying and cleaning the cup with the minimum water use (our tap water must now be considered contaminated until they can determine otherwise). Can you imagine having to deal with disposables at a time like this? *shudder*

Even in the aftermath of an earthquake, cups are awesome.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Another time that cups can rock your world Empty Re: Another time that cups can rock your world

Post  msmith_1221 Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:46 am

That is a great thing that she is a cup user. I keep cup wipes on hand just in case I cant get water. Maybe suggest that to your friend. Our grocery stores sell Summers Eve travel wipes for $2 usd for a box of 14 wipes, they are single wrapped. And I carry one in my purse with me at all times.

msmith_1221

Back to top Go down

Another time that cups can rock your world Empty Re: Another time that cups can rock your world

Post  ankhst Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:07 am

Wow...looking back at that post from the September quake, it all feels so silly... that one seemed bad at the time, but we had no idea how bad it could get. Unfortunately things got considerably worse later...we had another big quake in February (it'll be 1 year ago on the 22nd). The official death toll is somewhere around 184 I think. affraid

About 1/2 of the city had no water or power for weeks (including me), and no working sewers months (we got our toilet back in August, but some took longer. Some will never get theirs back). For about 2 months, even if we had water, if had to be boiled before use, and you had to sanitise your hands after touching it because it was seriously contaminated. There were tankers bringing water around to us every day, and there were a few properties in each suburb with their own wells, which most were willing to share, but all of the water still had to be boiled before use. You DO NOT want a GI infection when you only have a chemical loo (which you have to carry out and empty into a big tank on the corner), a hole in the garden, or you're sharing a toilet with your entire street Embarassed . Eventually the city water supply was able to be treated with chlorine, and even that has stopped now bounce

During the immense panic on the day of the earthquake, and in the overloading of the cellular networks, I couldn't get hold of my family, but I kept getting the same text from another friend of mine. She had been at university and had to walk the 8km home to her house, through liquifaction. She had texted me to tell me that she was soooo happy she had her Fleurcup because the walk took her hours and there was nowhere left to stop if she'd needed to deal with disposables.

In the aftermath, I was able to introduce a lot of women to cups, and I've had great feedback from many of them. Through my business (www.environmenstruals.co.nz) I was able to get 140 cups to give away (Thanks to Femmecup, Meluna and Yuuki cheers - they were awesomely generous) to women like me, who had no water and had to use alternative toilets (community port-a-loos, household camp toilets, composting toilets made from buckets, or even long drops in the garden). I gave each cup away with 2 milton tablets - 1 to chop up for sanitising the cup up to 8 times, and the other was to cut up and treat 32L of water for rinsing the cup (or to drink - just let it stand for 24 hours to get rid of the chlorine taste), since the tap water was not clean.

I've always had lunette wipes, but I had been trying to track down some other options at the time. I now stock a variety of cup/vagina friendly wipes in my webstore and recommend keeping a few in your emergency kit with your fresh batteries, toerch, water and canend food. I also decided I needed to stock the Shewee urination device which pairs well with a cup (squatting over a hole to pee was not my idea of fun).
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down