Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Stiff is the Meluna Really?....

5 posters

Go down

How Stiff is the Meluna Really?.... Empty How Stiff is the Meluna Really?....

Post  uk-cup Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 am

I have a large Meluna (ball stem) and before I bought it I saw it described by several different users as "stiff" or "one of the stiffer brands". I don't find my Meluna at all stiff, but I'm still pretty much a newb to cups (3 cycles).

My question is this: What is the definition of stiffness when applied to cups? Maybe the more experienced Ladies mean something by stiffness that I'm just not getting.
uk-cup
uk-cup

http://uk-cup.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

How Stiff is the Meluna Really?.... Empty Re: How Stiff is the Meluna Really?....

Post  Admin Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I actually find that the large Meluna is a little softer in the middle compred to the medium. Difficult to say with the small, because the rim is so close to the mid section.

I think the large is actually pretty close to most other brands, but the medium/small is slightly stiffer. Not so much that it would be uncomfortable, I don't think. But enough to help it pop open a little easier.

When I hold them in my hand in comparison to the other brands, the difference isn't really shockingly drastic, but just slightly different degrees here and there. They are all kind of similar in a way, but with these items, just the slightest variation can make all the difference. Hope that helps Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://menstrualcups.friendhood.net

Back to top Go down

How Stiff is the Meluna Really?.... Empty Re: How Stiff is the Meluna Really?....

Post  mildgirl Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm

When my medium ballstem came in the mail, I thought it was INCREDIBLY stiff! I have a sm. ladycup and a size 1 divacup....pretty squishy cups. However, I think the stiffness is an advantage in my case, as I do not experience any of the riding up or leaks than I have with my smaller cups. Inserts, spins, and seals like a dream. Razz

My biggest concern with the meluna I received was that there was a little, rough nobby thing underneath the rim on one side, as if that was where the plastic was injected into the mould....I was concerned that when I "spun", the rough bump would hurt...but I can't feel it. Did anyone else get this weird bump on the underside of their Meluna's rim?

mildgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 pm

I think they all have that, because mine all do, and obsidian said hers do to. I think maybe TPE might be thicker when melted than silicone, so it might nor be as smooth when the molding is finished.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  girlgonemild Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 pm

To continue (this is mildgirl).....I am actually using my MeLuna today and have a few other notes on stiffness:

1) My cervix is low and tilted to the left -- some of the longer/squishier cups (diva) will actually go beyond my cervix and cause leaks. The nice thing about the MeLuna, is it tends to open up and stay put where it opens -- I can't seem to keigel it up higher. It's nice to have a cup that will work as a low-rider, and not drift up, up and away!

2) After about 4-6 hours, I have noticed that I get kinda sore with the MeLuna and have to remove, wash, rest for a few min and reinsert. On heavier days, this is no problem, but my periods are generally lighter (thanks to oral BC) and it would be nice to be able to go the 10-12 hours promised (at least on lighter days) with no discomfort. I'm sure that a lot of this has to do with me wearing it so low -- I can "feel" the other, squishier cups when they are low, but they generally do not cause discomfort, and often drift "up" a bit, too.

3) Since I wear it so low, urination is kinda painful, too, and I find I have to remove the cup.

I wonder -- have any ladies that wear the MeLuna higher experience similar "pressure" feelings? Would be interesting to hear! Thanks!
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:30 am

I too have a low cervix. On a really light day, I will wear a medium or sometimes a small meluna. And I too noticed that it doesn't ride up. It could if it wanted to, because on light days, my cervix goes back up where it belongs. But meluna just stays where I put it. I confess, on light days, I will push it up a ways, because the thicker rim does enable me to feel it in sort of a pressure sensation on the bladder/urethra. That's probably what's happening with you. If there is any possible way to coax it a little higher on a light day, that could help.
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Feminine Wear Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:03 am

I have just received a MeLuna order and the large do seem to have that little bit of extra plastic just under the rim. Must be a manufacturing thing!
Feminine Wear
Feminine Wear

http://www.femininewear.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 am

Yes, they all seem to have that little spot under the rim. I thought it was a flaw at first, but it's just part of the moulding process I think.

My Meluna also stays put, but I do push it up higher. I kegel it up whilst giving it a little push from the bottom. I goes up quite a bit higher this way, even though I've got a short vag and low cervix.

I haven't noticed any irritation or any difficulty when peeing with mine. Girlgonemild, do you wash your cup with scented soap? I wonder if that could cause the irritation?

I wonder why Meluna decided on TPE instead of Silicone? I know it's cheaper to produce and accepts colour very well - but I think some people are finding it off-putting when nearly all the other cups use Silicone.
uk-cup
uk-cup

Back to top Go down

Post  Feminine Wear Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 pm

uk-cup wrote:I wonder why Meluna decided on TPE instead of Silicone? I know it's cheaper to produce and accepts colour very well - but I think some people are finding it off-putting when nearly all the other cups use Silicone.
It's my best selling cup. I sell loads of them. I don't think women are put off by the fact that it isn't silicone, as the TPE is just as flexible. I think they are attracted by the price!
Feminine Wear
Feminine Wear

http://www.femininewear.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  girlgonemild Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I usually rinse each time I remove, with really hot water. If I'm at home, I do have a mild, unscented soap that I will use to wash on occasion. However, I've been trying to just rely on the hot water until I'm finished for the month and can boil.

I do only experience this pressure issue with meluna (mine's a medium ballstem), and only when I wear it really low -- maybe too low -- and the ball definitely outside of me. I have been attempting to push it higher, and this relieves the pee/pressure issue, but then makes removal a bit on the tricky side.

The thing I love about the med. meluna is I've never experienced any leaks with it -- could have to do with the stiffness of the cup? I find my sm. diva much easier to remove, but I do get leakage with it -- some days more than others.
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:46 am

I think it is the firmenss, but also the rim-- its thicker and it seems like it would sit deeper in the skin and privde a better seal.
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 pm

girlgonemild wrote:
The thing I love about the med. meluna is I've never experienced any leaks with it -- could have to do with the stiffness of the cup? I find my sm. diva much easier to remove, but I do get leakage with it -- some days more than others.

This is something I've been wondering too for the last day or so.

There is a thread on LJ where the Lady is getting a lot of leakage with her Diva and LC and I was wondering if a stiffer cup would help her. I was hoping that one of the more experienced Ladies would comment on that thread because I've only been using my cup for 3 cycles and don't really feel confident to give advice unless it's a problem I've had myself.

Supposing that your vagina walls are slightly pushing against your cup. Is it possible that a soft cup like the LC could be pushed in slightly, just enough to cause a leak, whereas a stiffer cup would resist the pressure? Or am I fantasizing here?

It would be good to have a sticky on here from one of the more knowledgeable Gals that lists all the causes of leaking. It's a really frustrating problem for the beginner.
uk-cup
uk-cup

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Feminine Wear wrote:
It's my best selling cup. I sell loads of them. I don't think women are put off by the fact that it isn't silicone, as the TPE is just as flexible. I think they are attracted by the price!

Really? I'm glad to hear that. For some mad reason I feel a bit protective about the Meluna geek
uk-cup
uk-cup

Back to top Go down

Post  girlgonemild Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Melissa suggested the firmer rim helps prevent leaks, which makes TONS of sense.....

Oh, diva, if your rim was only a touch firmer, I wonder would you leak so? Hmmm....
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

Post  Yaya Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 am

I do own a large Meluna (ball) and I don't find it stiff at all. It's a red one. I also own an M (ring) and it is black. I was wondering if the black one seems stiffer to you or is it my impression?
I've been using the L one and it's been ok.
Smile

Yaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Its probably not the color, but I will say all my medium melunas feels stiffer than my large melunas, because the material seems a little thicker in the walls. But I do like thier black ones Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down