Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups

+12
Sekhmet
hairballsplat
Rheatheylia
K12404
littlemissy
Feminine Wear
Kammioderin
LisBeth
Melissa569
uk-cup
PinkDagger
amthripp
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups Empty Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups

Post  amthripp Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what you called your period before and after discovering menstrual cups?

Mine was normal and plain "period". Now, it is "Red Sea Week" due to a scene in Roald Dahl's hilarious book "Matilda" involving Amanda Thripp and her pigtails. I crack up every time I think about that scene, so I thought if it brings positive thoughts to my mind, why not call my period Red Sea Week?

How about you? sunny

amthripp

amthripp

Back to top Go down

Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups Empty Re: Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups

Post  PinkDagger Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I usually just call it my period, but I rarely mention it anymore anyway, what with all the convenience. Smile I rarely notice it myself.

I am particularly fond of Little Elvis. I giggle just thinking about it.

PinkDagger

Back to top Go down

Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups Empty Re: Name for your period before and after discovering and/or using menstrual cups

Post  uk-cup Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 am

I was going to say I've never called it anything, but then I remembered I sometimes used to say I "had the Painters in". Normally I just say period (actually normally I never said anything at all, it's not something I like to draw attention to).

Although the name hasn't changed, my attitude towards it has changed drastically. I don't dread it anymore, it's now just a minor inconvenience (and that's only the heavy days, the light days I don't even notice) when it used to be a bloody nuisance. Literally.
uk-cup
uk-cup

http://uk-cup.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 pm

I don't know why, but I tend to say "cycle" because when I was a teen, the boys in school made so many "period" and "rag" jokes... But I've also been caught saying "Monthly visit from aunt flow" or "aunt Rose".

As for the blood itself, I like to call it "The Liquid Rose Of Life", since its arrival signals that a woman is fertal (usually). And I honestly see it that way too, I don't know if this is strange, but I think the blood is beautiful. In a strange sort of way... lol

Last edited by Melissa569 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Melissa569 wrote: I don't know if this is strange, but I think the blood is beautiful. In a strange sort of way... lol

I know what you mean. A saturated tampon or pad is ugly to me, but a cup of blood is a very different thing. The colour, warmth and thickness is fascinating IMO.
uk-cup
uk-cup

http://uk-cup.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LisBeth Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:14 am

Well, even is the topic is a bit old, I would like to reply because it's interesting...

Here in Italy we usually call our period "my things" ("le mie cose", in Italian) without specifications about which things we are talking about. About me, as my mom is a radiologic technician and she's very skilled in human anatomy, she always teached me to call everythings with their specific name: so I have always called my period "menstruation", even if now that I re-think, it seemed strange to hear such a similar word from a child! But that's fine...
Now I simply call it "my cycle" or "my things" because it's easier, but I think it would be nicer to give it another name...I will think about it...
LisBeth
LisBeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Kammioderin Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:28 pm

I know that when my boyfriend tries to get frisky and I'm crampy and not in the mood at all I tell him I'm having "issues" during that time of the month. With my daughter and the "girls" here at work, we refer to it as our "Girl Time".
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Post  Feminine Wear Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I just say that it's my "time of the month."
Feminine Wear
Feminine Wear

http://www.femininewear.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemissy Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 pm

I used to call it 'the curse' now I call it my moon time which I think is much nicer and earthier.

littlemissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I always enjoy using the term "Fallen to the Communists" for some reason... I don't know, I think I heard that on TVtropes and it just amused me so I used that all the time. There is also a story I'm writing here and there called "Frigga's Curse" basically a about a female crossdressing Viking who strives to become a great warrior only to feel being held back by her period, as it gives her debiliating cramps and it's about her striving to overcome "Frigga's Curse"

I could explain the entire plot to you, it's hard to sum it up in a few sentances, there is sooooo much more detail that just those few sentences I don't even think gives justice to it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Sounds like both a funny and entertaining story though Smile

I love to write too, working on a novel (kind of a love story, but also sci-fi and adventure) its about parallel universes, and a girl who stumbles into a portal to a parrallel world of an immortal civilization-- people who have very special abilities that regular humans don't have (various types of ESP). The girl falls in love with their King of this civilization, who is also youthful-looking and immortal. It turns out she found her way back there, because she had lived and died before (in her first life, she was his wife, but she was again a human visitor from earth and mortal). She was killed by a traitor to the King.

These people can make eath people immortal, and usually do with anyone who happens to come through the portal. But in her past life, she refused to do it... Now she was reincarnated, so it was kind of "fate" that she stumbled ont he portal. This time, she accepts converting to immortality. And its such an amazing world, much better than Earth. So there's all these challenges about keeping it a secret and preserving the culture... Like yours, there is much, MUCH more detail, but can't place it all here, lol. Also not finished yet. Like to get it published some day.

Is yours a short story, or the longer, book-like sort?
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Mine is kind of inspired by a manga named Vinland Saga and it is fairly long, but it does have an ending, probably when she marries her male companion Hjalmar who is probably the worst excuse for a warrior and is constantly afraid of everything. It also ends with her returning to the medicine man she met Baghdad (which, it was recorded that the Vikings did go that far to trade) who gave her a couple month's of acupuncture therapy after giving him her money, her, Hjalmar, and her sisters earned the medicine man was taught by a man in China and she helped her relieve some of the symptoms, which unfortunately, it worn off after six months which almost cost her, her life when she joins a group of men and they find out her secret and causes her to almost become killed by them until Hjalmar comes and saves the day.

So, after a long struggle and talk with the medicine man, she finally accepts her femininity and then looks back realizing that she has been having the wrong mentality the whole time. She will still be a tomboy and work hard like the men, but she would also welcome those days of her period as the time to relax, refresh, and let the leaves fall, her cramps, her pain she feels is simply a reminder of battles she once fought. Pain makes us appreciate pleasure much more.

It then fast forwards to Inga and Hjalmar married with children and Inga has finally undergone menopause and is busy weaving and then her daughter tells her that she is peeing blood and Inga smirks knowing just what it is and wastes no time telling her and then it ends.

Back to top Go down

Post  K12404 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm

In England on way of putting it is "Aunt Irma is visiting". They have a T.V show called "The I.T Crowd" with an episode all about the female boss who has "Aunt Irma visiting". THey painted her face like a Kiss member but with red and white and she had flaming hair standing on end. She would speak with this evil voice and meanly. They the two guys she worked with would offer chocolates or something and she would return to normal. I found it hilarious but also slightly true.

K12404

Back to top Go down

Post  Rheatheylia Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:33 pm

I like "the red tide" or before it starts "the red tide is coming in"
Now that I'm using a cup I find myself saying "cup week" or "I'm using my cup" or more often "I get to use my cup!" lol, I never thought I'd actually look forward to my period Smile
Rheatheylia
Rheatheylia

http://www.rheatheylia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 pm

I wanna make a shirt button that says, "Get OFF the rag, and get ON the cup" lol. I just hope it wouldn't be offensive to anyone, since it is slightly crude by some standards... But I'm sure it would at least raise curiosity Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  hairballsplat Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 pm

i want one that says : The Smug Sisterhood. Someone wrote that on LJ and I LOVED it.
hairballsplat
hairballsplat

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 pm

hairballsplat wrote:i want one that says : The Smug Sisterhood. Someone wrote that on LJ and I LOVED it.

That too, yeah, because being self reliant with your method of period care really gives you this haughty sort of feeling Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Well I don't have a post-cup period name yet since I will be waiting for my cup for a couple of weeks still, lol. However, when I'm on my period normally I typically say that "my uterus is angry" or "my uterus is raging" due to the cramps that I get. Razz I swear, it's as if it's seeking vengeance on the rest of my body! lol Maybe I'll have nicer things to say about my period after I get started using cups. Wink
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 pm

I think now that I used a cup successfully, I'm no longer falling to the communists, but now it's just the communists are invading. Of course, they are failing to go any further now that I got my cup mwhahahaha!!! Take that red menace!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 am

There are a variety of words for period in Sweden. The word menstruation is actually a word in the Swedish language too, but there's a shorter term for it; mens. In my age I think no one is embarrassed to use the actual word anymore and it's therefore the most commonly used word when talking about your period. Sometimes girls call it 'Lingonberry week'.

I used to regard my period as The Red Horror and practically dreaded that week of the month. Nowadays, I somehow almost look forward to cup-time!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Okay, now I'm no longer being invaded by the communists, but now I overthrown the entire Soviet Union and ended the Cold War with my cup it feels like!

So, first I was falling to them, to being invaded, to overthrowing them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 am

slovaksiren wrote:Okay, now I'm no longer being invaded by the communists, but now I overthrown the entire Soviet Union and ended the Cold War with my cup it feels like!

slovaksiren, your metaphor is amusing. Can I adapt it? lol

Last edited by Humana on Fri May 28, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Yup! You sure can! Actually, I first heard it on TV tropes and I just happened to get creative with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:31 am

I've always been very clinical about it. I'm a life long feminist, so hated the idea of calling it anything negative, such as 'the curse,' didn't like the 'aunt flow' thing but also felt 'moontime' was a but 'fluffy bunny pagan' for me (being a biological scientist before I became a social scientist). So, i had to be boring and call it 'my period'.

Now though, I've stolen someone else's term (from LJ?), and it's on my calenday (and even mentioned on a FB thread) as 'cuppy time.' Cuppy time made my friends laugh. Smile

I do love the communist one though.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 am

(DELETED)

Last edited by Anachan on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next