Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removal Tips for First Timers

5 posters

Go down

Removal Tips for First Timers Empty Removal Tips for First Timers

Post  girlgonemild Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Something that would have helped me when I was getting started: Tips for removal! Things that aren't printed on the pamphlet.

For example, when you "pinch" to break the seal, you might have to hold the cup in that position for a couple of seconds before the seal actually breaks -- this surprised me at first!

Do you have any other tips? Share!
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

Removal Tips for First Timers Empty Re: Removal Tips for First Timers

Post  Melissa569 Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:46 am

Great topic! Thanks for starting this one Smile

When I first started using cups, I found that some brands were more easily removed with the "insert a finger to break the suction" method. But others took better to the "pinch and tilt" method (pinching the bottom of the cup and tilting it from side to side while pulling down).

And also, with slick/slippery cups (ladycup, meluna, Keeper, Keeper moon cup), the "dry fingers" method is a blessing. You just have to keep your fingers extra dry during removal for better grip. I just keep toilet paper in my hand, and pause to re-dry my fingers a couple of times, as needed.

And of course, as all the ladies say-- bear down with the muscles in that area, like you're having a bowel movement, because that shortens the vagina.

As an extra, here are some tips on what works best for what brand (at least for me, but probably for lots of other women too):

Ladycup -- Pinch and tilt, dry fingers.
Divacup -- Pinch and tilt OR insert a finger.
Lunette -- Large: insert a finger. Small: pinch and tilt.
Meluna-- Small and medium: Pinch and tilt, dry fingers. Large: Insert a finger.
Femmecup-- Pinch and tilt
Mooncup UK-- Pinch and tilt
Yuuki-- Pinch and tilt
Mpower-- Insert a finger, dry fingers, cradle with fingers from undernieth as you remove.
Keeper/Keeper moon cup-- Dry fingers, pinch and tilt
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:42 am

The first time I used a cup I found the removal really painful! That thick heavy rim on the MCUK seemed to be made of Iron. I didn't even realise I could fold it on the way out (well, duh). I don't think the removal instructions are very good.

I can only use the finger up the side method, pinching the base doesn't seem to do anything for me. Maybe I'm not holding it long enough. Don't you hate it when your cup makes multiple loud farting noises on the way out? Embarassed
uk-cup
uk-cup

http://uk-cup.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  girlgonemild Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm

My ladyfriends and I call that the "wet shloop of sustainability" Wink

Removal was the scariest part of cuphood when I was just starting out, and can still be a little challenging for me. My diva is (now!) the easiest to remove, as I find it's easier to pinch the base on this model. I was intimidated by the length of this cup itself and the shortness of the stem, but now I find that this is a real benefit to breaking the seal -- I can get a fantastic grip on the base of the cup, which allows me to pinch, break the seal, and wiggle as I ease it outward.

Sometimes (even nine months later) I pinch and tug and it doesn't feel like anything is shifting down and outward....in the beginning, this always made me panic, which made removal rather hurty. Now that I am less anxious about removal, I find that it doesn't hurt. I don't think my technique has changed any, either. I think I expected it to hurt, was tense, and then it DID hurt!

Kind of a cruel irony for beginners Sad I thought so! But I am just drawing my first desposable-product-free period to a close and it feels soooo gooood Smile It's worth the time it takes to get used to it.
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesamyn Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 pm

For those who are a bit longer, squatting or raising one leg (putting a foot on the toilet seat or edge of tub) helps shorten the vagina as well.
Jesamyn
Jesamyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 am

Good tips, ladies. I admit, when I first heard about cups, I too was a little worried about removal. I'm not afraid to touch my blood, I just didn't watn to clean up a mess. I guess I mistakingly thought a cup would be too soft. I had no idea how they would be capable of holding their shape during removal. I thought maybe the whole thing would be floppy and squishy, and my insides would flatten it, lol. I had to actually hold and feel one before I could understand how it would work.

But I'm glad I was willing to purchase one and give it a chance. I was so curious, I couldn't help myself, and now I'm happy, happy, happy! Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Removal Tips for First Timers Empty LadyCup

Post  LindaDF Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:30 pm

I have to admit that my first removal was quite messy. I left it in too long, and couldn’t get a hold of it mostly because I inserted it too far in. I actually got a cramp on my hand and had to stop and relax a bit. Embarassed

It was helpful to discover that my cervix sits very low. I also pinched it from the top as much as I could, towards the floor to break the suction. Melissa’s tips on removal and video were a life saver.

This cup has a particularly stiff ring, so I too felt some pain when it came out...I’m not a mommy yet so I’m not that flexible.

My conclusions were:
Heavy flow, remove within 2 hours or less
Dry fingers as much as possible
Pinch as close to the rim as possible
Bend the cup on the way out as close to an inverted U as possible
Bear down on the way out

Overall this experience is WELL WORTH IT! I feel so proud of all of us for doing something so healthy for our bodies and the environment flower
:
ttfn
L.
LindaDF
LindaDF

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:06 am

Good tip summery, Linda Smile I find that there are many common trics that can help just bout everyone, but still I've seen plenty of people come up with good tricks on their own that really work better for very specific problems. Its good to collect as many as we can, whenever someone thinks of them Very Happy
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah, removal is kind of tricky at times for me, especially at the end of the cycle when I'm spotting. Usually, my Keeper cup is too far up to pinch and the stem is a little nub on mine (about the same size as a typical ball stem, a pseudo-ball stem if you will...) So I have to insert a finger up there and push on it hoping that it would either come down a ways, or fold.

I also push with my muscles like I'm trying to give birth. By the time the cup becomes folded, however, removal is a synch.

Usually the longer I keep it in, the more it moves up and the more of an effort it takes to remove.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down