Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isn't 20 min. too long?

2 posters

Go down

Isn't 20 min. too long? Empty Isn't 20 min. too long?

Post  aqua3473 Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 am

My diva instructions say to boil the cup for 20 Min. I would think 2 min. to be enough. Typo? I wonder. I would be to afraid to boil it for 20 minutes. When my son began playing football I boiled his mouth piece (so he could fit it for his mouth) for five minutes and it was destroyed, I think it was silicone, not sure. I do know I had to buy him another. I am going to do 2 min. I think that is enough.

aqua3473

Back to top Go down

Isn't 20 min. too long? Empty Re: Isn't 20 min. too long?

Post  Melissa569 Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm

It depends on the company. Some companies want you to go 20 minutes, because 20 minutes can kill even dormant bacteria. Some companies want 5 minutes, some want 2 minutes. I'm not sure why its different, maybe it depends on how much hardener a company's silicone contains, or the exact composition of their particular silicone...

I do know that as an experiment, I place one of the cut-off silicone stems in my oven on a tray, and baked it at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, and it never melted... Strange htough, some people have melted their cups by boiling them for like an hour. They forgot about it and all the water evaporated out of the pan. They came back and the cup was just a mushy puddle of gew int he bottom of the pot... So I'm not sure why it melts sometimes, but not others...

I do knowthat silicone is supposed to be able to withstan IMMENSE heat. Like I said, mine didn't melt even after 15 minutes of oven time (they make baking trays out of silicone), and the cups I've heard of melting took more like an hour.

As long as the company says that time frame is ok, then it should be. As long as the water is deep enough for the cup not to touch the bottom of the pan. Then of course, keeping it at a nice rolling bubble will also help to continuously throw the cup up off the bottom.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum