Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do with your old Tampons?

+2
Melissa569
telula
6 posters

Go down

What did you do with your old Tampons? Empty What did you do with your old Tampons?

Post  telula Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm wondering what everyone did with their old tampons when they changed over. I have a box that I haven't opened yet and part of me wants to throw it out (because it's a potential carcinogenic) and part of me wants to find someone to give it to (waste not want not).

I also have some Instead Softcups that I have in my purse because my cycle is really unpredictable right now and I don't want to keep my DivaCup in my purse.

So I don't know what to do with all those Icky pale Tampons and I'm wondering what everyone else has done with theirs.

telula

Back to top Go down

What did you do with your old Tampons? Empty Re: What did you do with your old Tampons?

Post  Melissa569 Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

I actually still have mine, lol. They've been sitting in the cabinet under my bathroom sink for over a year and a half now. I'm not sure what to do with them. I guess I jsut keep them for guests or friends who may need something at the drop of a hat... Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

What did you do with your old Tampons? Empty Re: What did you do with your old Tampons?

Post  Guest Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 am

I have mine left too because I still haven't figured out what to do with them. Throwing them away is not an option and it would feel a bit awkward to hand them over to a friend. I'm actually considering to use them by myself just to get rid of them once and for all (even though I'd prefer not to...)

Back to top Go down

Post  kristank Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm wondering what to do with mine as well....

I have a huge stash of tampons as well as pads (just switched to cloth pads!) that I want to get rid of, but don't want to toss in the trash. I was wondering if any of the homeless shelters or womens crisis centers might take them? Most of the boxes/bags are opened, but the individual pads/tampons are still sealed.

kristank

http://keepingupwiththekrouts.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  telula Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:10 pm

I never thought about donating them to a women's shelter or something. That's a great idea. I cleaned out my bathroom closet yesterday and threw out the open box of tampons that only had 3 tampons left, but I still have an unopened box. I'll hang on to my pads though. I don't use them that often and have a very light flow. 1 package of pads will last me 3 years or so and if I do have a guest over who gets their period unexpectidly I'm prepared for them.

telula

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm

I was thinking of making Christmas ornaments with them, of course, then I found out that I do not have the good kind to make them with. So yeah, a box of one hundred tampons that I will never use (and I didn't really use much to begin with), a package of pads with about eight of them left, and twenty or so ancient, bulky maxi-pads that my aunt gave me when she hit menopause. They are like, fifteen years old! Then some super-plus Kotex tampons that she also used, but even if I did use tampons, I still don't have as heavy of a flow to use.

I really, really, really need to get around to donating them to my church's pantry, but I don't know how I could explain it to my mom what I am planning to do because I remember her finally agreeing with helping me buy a cup as soon as I use everything up or find a way to give them away somehow only to have me confess that I already bought one therefore, it is here to stay. Ever since her surgery on her uterus, she no longer gets periods

(but because she still has her ovaries, she still PMSes, but because she has no more uterus, her ovaries cannot release anymore eggs. She was in a lot of pain though and she was happy with having just my brother and I and didn't want anymore kids so she decided to have the operation) and I am pretty much the only menstruating woman in my houshold. Of course, they are still in my parent's bathroom cabinet under the sink and not mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  telula Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:58 am

slovaksiren: Wow, that's a LOT of tampons and pads! And some clever ideas in getting rid of them. I've just had a thought about leaving them randomly in public washrooms...

telula

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:13 am

What about recycling? lol
If you go to the nearest recycling center you could put them in the container with the materials they use for making biofuels.

(might not be the best solution...)

Back to top Go down

Post  telula Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 am

telula

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, I know, that is a lot, which is why I want to find a way to get rid of them somehow. I'll just keep praying and hopefull an oppurtunity will come up. I still think that my church's pantry is the best bet. Again, I just need to get around asking the person in charge! I would go to church myself, but I don't know, I feel sort of awkward going to church without my parents or relatives. If my parents can''t go on Sunday, then I can't go even though I want to go. I mean, I could ride my bike there easily. It's only ten minutes away!

Maybe, it's just that I have poor communication skills... I have always had poor communication skills. Everything has to be at the right time and if it isn't, people don't want to talk to me when I do bring it up!

Back to top Go down

Post  telula Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Why not write a letter to the person in charge of the pantry or the ladies group, or the church secretary or pastor, or pastor's wife. Explain your desire to donate these goods, and if they ask why it gives you an opportunity to tell them about Menstrual cups.

telula

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 am

I donated mine to the local women's health information centre. They often have women coming who who've been 'caught out.' They wanted to know all about cups, so I took the oportunity to spread the word while I was there.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  telula Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 am

So I think I've figured out what to do with my old tampons and pads. My husband is a cook in a high school cafeteria, so I think I might just leave them in the girls locker room there with a little note saying why I don't need them anymore. That way they won't be wasted and all the girls will have access to an emergency stash, and I can also spread the word about menstrual cups too Smile

telula

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Melissa569 wrote:I actually still have mine, lol. They've been sitting in the cabinet under my bathroom sink for over a year and a half now. I'm not sure what to do with them. I guess I jsut keep them for guests or friends who may need something at the drop of a hat... Smile

lol yeah. Dat's what i'll do too. Look at me. I put so much confidence in the cup and I never even used it for "real" Very Happy silent

Sweet kisses from Jay xx
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Put them in your purses in case of an emergency. You're not really supposed to carry around the menstrual cups, right?
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

You can carry your cup around, but only if its inside the little cloth pouch. That will protect it. Actually the cup with its pouch can squish up and fit in your pocket. And nobody will know what it is Smile You can also wear your cup for a day or two when you are expecting your period to start any day. Can't do that with tampons.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 am

I thought it might damage the cup if you kept it in your purse or pocket.
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 am

that depends what else you carry around. I wouldn't store my cup with a metal nail file (for example) but I always have at least 1 cup in a pouch in my handbag, just in case.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down