Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what makes cups wear out?

4 posters

Go down

So what makes cups wear out? Empty So what makes cups wear out?

Post  Lisa Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm

I heard if you take care of your cup it will last you a long time. What makes them wear out? Is boiling hard on them? Can folding it too much wear it out?
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

So what makes cups wear out? Empty Re: So what makes cups wear out?

Post  ankhst Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:15 am

The material will just degrade over time, as things do. You might notice it becoming more brittle or showing slight cracks in the surface.

Chemicals can do damage, killing your cup faster, so be careful that you clean your cup according to the recomendations of the manufacturer and stay clear of silicon and oil based cleansers and lubes...and don't boil it dry or otherwise cook it.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 am

I don't ever want my cups to wear out! Right now I have 2 cups so I can alternate and make them last longer. I just started my period tonight. I can't wait to see how well the cup works!
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:07 am

All very true, ankhst Smile

Time and just the little things we do can wear them out. But sticking to mild soaps, water, and recomended sterilizing methods really helps.

I supose you could handle them enough to wear them out, but within reason, they shoudl be handled. I think its kind of like a house-- houses were made to be lived in. Ever notice how a house that doesn't have anybody living in it will fall apart much faster than a house that holds a family? Something about walking on the floor, opening the doors and windows, etc. That makes it all stay sturdy and young.

I think cups are very much the same. If you were to just leave a cup sitting in a box, completely untouched for 3 years, it would probably grow brittle faster than a cup that was ocasionally handled and folded to maintain its elasticity. I think its about finding that nice line between over using, and under using.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  galthea Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:23 pm

hm, that means i should sometimes use my old Mooncup, as I'm not anymore, since i bought the Fleur... (but it's nice to have a 2nd one, just in case...)
galthea
galthea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down