Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a convert!

5 posters

Go down

I'm a convert! Empty I'm a convert!

Post  sophie Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:09 am

I recently got my first menstrual cup (Fleurcup lg, from Feminine Wear Like a Star @ heaven - thanks!) and tried out for the first time and... well, I think I'm never going back!

To be honest, environmental concerns are of no interest to me, but TSS is. I got interested in menstrual cups as the result of visiting a forum for diaphragm users (also new to that), and hearing that there were no reported cases of TSS among menstrual cup users. Lately, I've been getting headaches sometimes when I have a tampon in near the end of my period. When I take the tampon out, headache goes away immediately. I'm not sure if that's TSS, but it's disturbing all the same. Disturbing enough to look for alternatives, but not disturbing enough to go back to sloppy pads full-time. So when I heard about menstrual cups I was definitely intrigued and spent hours and hours reading and watching videos. (BIG thanks to Melissa Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven, BTW!)

TSS/headache aside, I'm thrilled that I won't have to constantly worry if I have enough tampons at home, in my purse, or on my person. And I'm really digging knowing the true volume of my flow, not to mention the potential to go up to 12 hours without emptying it!

A few more facts about me: I'm in my early thirties, never been pregnant, and have a (sometimes) tipped uterus that does affect the angle at which a tampon goes in. Despite what the instructions said, I was not able to turn the cup once it was in and fully open (and was happy to read on this forum that this is not uncommon). My experience placing the cup was very much like wearing contacts: difficult and slightly uncomfortable at first, but after only a few days... in and out with no problems! I'm thinking I'll trim the stem entirely off, because it sits low enough that it is plenty easy to grab even without it.

Now I'm just curious, given all the advantages, does anyone try a menstrual cup and then say "nah, not for me"? If so, what reasons do they give? It seems to work even for those of us with "problem" anatomy. I'm sure there are women who are uncomfortable seeing menstrual fluid or getting it on their fingers, but I don't imagine those women would even try a cup.

Last edited by sophie on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected my English)

sophie

Back to top Go down

I'm a convert! Empty Re: I'm a convert!

Post  Melissa569 Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome Sophie! Your English is excellent. Glad the videos helped too.

I find that with femmecup, the punch-down fold is more comfortable to insert, because the rim is firm. But its one of the only cups that doesn't put pressure on my bladder, because the middle of the cup is thinner and softer.

I agree thought, I don;t like pads either its just too messy, I don't feel clean. I understand some people prefer them and that's ok, but I need something internal. But tampons totally dried me out, so I too am greatful for cups Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  uk-cup Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm

sophie wrote: Lately, I've been getting headaches sometimes when I have a tampon in near the end of my period. When I take the tampon out, headache goes away immediately. I'm not sure if that's TSS, but it's disturbing all the same.

I used to sometimes get a headache and also a feeling of nausea or tummy upset with tampons - I never actually vomited, but I just felt generally unwell and as soon as I removed the tampon I felt well again in a matter of minutes. You're the first person I've come across who has had this too.

I remember once on another cup forum someone posted that she was tired of trying to get her cup to work and she titled her post "maybe I'm just a tampon girl" or something similar (can't honestly remember the issue, maybe leaks?). I don't doubt that some Women have problems with them and give up (especially if they don't have access to online help like this forum), I think most find them a revelation compared to disposables. Personally, I took to my cup right away - even though I had leaks at first and a couple of other issues, I still preferred it to tampons.

I remember thinking "I'll never have to buy a box of tampons again" and being quite awestruck at that thought!
uk-cup
uk-cup

http://uk-cup.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sophie Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:51 am

I used to sometimes get a headache and also a feeling of nausea or tummy upset with tampons - I never actually vomited, but I just felt generally unwell and as soon as I removed the tampon I felt well again in a matter of minutes. You're the first person I've come across who has had this too.

Yes, I've also felt a slight tinge of nausea! It's funny, I had never heard of anyone else having that problem either, but I googled "headache tampon" and found several references to it.

I remember once on another cup forum someone posted that she was tired of trying to get her cup to work and she titled her post "maybe I'm just a tampon girl" or something similar (can't honestly remember the issue, maybe leaks?). I don't doubt that some Women have problems with them and give up (especially if they don't have access to online help like this forum), I think most find them a revelation compared to disposables. Personally, I took to my cup right away - even though I had leaks at first and a couple of other issues, I still preferred it to tampons.

This forum, and Melissa's blog/videos, are certainly helpful.

I remember thinking "I'll never have to buy a box of tampons again" and being quite awestruck at that thought!

Yay for that! cheers

sophie

Back to top Go down

Post  selloway Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm

As to people who try cups and don't like them, just try googling "I hate menstrual cups".
Nothing relevant comes up. It's pretty humorous. ;]]

selloway

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm

selloway wrote:As to people who try cups and don't like them, just try googling "I hate menstrual cups".
Nothing relevant comes up. It's pretty humorous. ;]]

Haha, I just tried it, and you know what? All I saw were the words "I hate" highlighted in bold, all under the results, and after that it was usually something like:

"Having to use tampons"

Or

"Having to buy products over and over again every month"

But nothing about hating menstrual cups, lol. Haha, take THAT disposables! Smile Sorry, I'm being mean...
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  selloway Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm

OH, but we all enjoy it. ;D
it amused me too. hehe.

selloway

Back to top Go down

I'm a convert! Empty wow

Post  radianceunveiled Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:49 pm

I just read how some of the ladies here had headaches and even nausea feelings at the end of their period while using tampons. Wow amazing as I to had those same feelings, headaches and some time nausea or even cramping it was kind of a strange thing and each time it would freak me out every time that would happen. You gals are right it would go away after the tampon was removed. I new I had to find another alternative as my Ph had started getting thrown off too. Pads were not an option for me as it created too much yeast. I found the cups by accident looking at Youtube! So glade to have found them they have saved my life!
radianceunveiled
radianceunveiled

http://www.radianceunveiled.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Same here, I actually found that I cramped worse with tampons than I did with pads or cups. Before I foudn cups, when the pain really bad from a tampon, I would have to take it out and use a pad. Nice to have something I can wear inside that doesn't increase the discomfort Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum