Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cups and developing countries

2 posters

Go down

Cups and developing countries Empty Cups and developing countries

Post  ankhst Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 am

I'm a grad student at University of Canterbury, doing an MA in Gender studies. One of my research interests, and a course I tutor in, is Gender in development, so I was interested to discover that many cup companies have initiatives to give poor women, who would otherwise depend on aide for their supplies, cups. Mpower and She cup both supply bags made by local women, in cottage industries.

I emailed the SheCup company and asked about their background and community initiatives but they were cagey, and when i explained what i wanted to know and why they didn't reply. Sad

I'd like to know more about the initiatives and any other work going on in this area if anyone knows it. I would love to be able to use cups as an example because they touch on so many areas that the course covers (including enironmental impact), and offer some fantastic opportinities for discussion on the politics of the body in this setting.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Cups and developing countries Empty Re: Cups and developing countries

Post  Melissa569 Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 am

I think its a wonderful idea for companies and distributers to help supply cups to women who need them. The only caution I would offer is, make sure the women have a way to clean the cups, like a source of clean water, even if its just water they boil in the home. Smile

I know Samantha B. tried this with the Alicia cup in India, but plans fell through. Perhaps it was some kind of money issue? And I also hear that there is a movement like this in Mexico for ladycups and mooncups? I would certainly love to see more of this going on around the world. My traveling abilities are limited, but I will encourage anyone who can do it Smile

Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down