Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :)

3 posters

Go down

Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :) Empty Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :)

Post  Kammioderin Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:14 pm

Since there was a slight hijacking of a journal talking about food and dinners that were premade and frozen (Dream Dinners and Dinners Done Right style) I figured that it deserved it's own thread. I came to work today, double checked with my friend the name of the book, the amount of food she got out of a session and the price out of pocket just so that I could help anyone else out here.

The book is called Fix, Freeze, Feast (this is the Amazon US link to it) and my friend says she usually gets together with her neighbor and they pick four recipes out of the book to prepare each time. Each recipe makes 3-5 dinners of 4 servings each. So they end up with 8-10 different meals in their freezer each time they do it (splitting the end results in half). She says cost for this usually runs around 150 dollars combined.

The premise of the book is buying your most expensive stuff in bulk and preparing it ahead of time so that you can have meals in your freezer ready to go. Often when there's a sale on chicken or skirt steak is when a cooking weekend is kicked off at my friends house. She also goes to stores where you can buy spices and dried ingredients in bulk as it's cheaper to buy a baggie of paprika then a little tin of it in the spice aisle of the local grocery store.

Since each recipe does make multiples of the same meal, if you are a person who needs more variety in your meal plan cooking with a friend/neighbor/family member is probably the way to go, you'll get more variety in your freezer that way. However if partnering up doesn't work for you, in the reviews there is a person who mentions a few other books that aren't so much about bulk meal planning, but just the make ahead and freeze style meals.

If anyone decides to try it out or has even a few recipes of their own that they'd like to toss in this thread I'm sure we can all benefit from each others experiences.
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :) Empty Re: Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :)

Post  radianceunveiled Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Kammioderin
Thanks I will look on amazon now. I can get together with my mom, I am sure she will like doing this too. bounce
radianceunveiled
radianceunveiled

http://www.radianceunveiled.com

Back to top Go down

Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :) Empty Re: Make ahead Dinners- In it's own thread, not hijacking someone's journal :)

Post  Melissa569 Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you, I'm going to look into this Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kammioderin Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Also a bonus of this book (I've flipped through the pages), it's not just casserole style dishes. A lot of the recipes are stored in ziplock storage bags and are marinated meats or glazes on meat with veggies. Even if it's just making the "Main Course" it still saves time and a bit of money because you can toss together some quick cooking rice or some frozen veggies with it.
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down