Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you really not feel them?

+5
Sekhmet
Rheatheylia
K12404
Kammioderin
Melissa569
9 posters

Go down

Can you really not feel them? Empty Can you really not feel them?

Post  Curious Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

I am very interested in trying menstrual cups! I am thinking about buying a Lunette since I seem to have a low cervix. However, I am somewhat skeptical about one thing - can you REALLY not feel them (other than the occasional end bit sticking out)? When I use tampons, I usually forget they are there entirely unless I'm using the restroom. But cups (even small ones) seem like they're still larger than a tampon is. So, for those who own cups, can you feel them most of the time or at all? I know it will be different for different people, but I am curious how often people can feel their cups while they're inside. Razz Thanks in advance!

Curious

Back to top Go down

Can you really not feel them? Empty Re: Can you really not feel them?

Post  Melissa569 Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 pm

In general, most women find them jsut as comfortable (if not more comfprtable) than a tampon.

I personally think they are more comfortable than tampons. Half the time, I'm vaguely aware that its there, and half the time, I don't feel it at all. But it also depends on the brand/size. I have completely forgotten that I was on my period a few times. Particularly with a small lunette, because it seems to eliminate my cramps completely, more than the others. I'm not sure why that is, and its not the same for everyone, of course. For for many women, it helps cramps though.

When you first hear about cups, or see one, you think "Wow, its big! How could that ever be comfortable?" That's what I thought... But there is something about the way they fit and the material they are made of that makes them comfortable.

There have been women with certain medical conditions that make it impossible to insert anything comfortabley. But that's pretty rare, and if you can use tampons ok (inserting and removing), then you probably do not have any such condition.

You might be aware of it the first time you use it, especially if you're a virgin. But every time, you feel it less, and less.

If you have a low cervix and a heavy flow, then small Lunette would be a good choice. So would small Yuuki, or small Fleurcup (if you live in an area where Fleurcups ship to). They all hold about the same mount and are close in size. But if Lunette is easier for you and you like the brand, give it a try. Small Lunette is the one I'm using as my personal regular cup as of late, because I have a low cervix/average-heavy flow. I'm pretty happy with it. Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kammioderin Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm

I can feel the end of my diva a bit, but even that is better when flipped inside out. I can sometimes feel a bit tender (might not be the right word) from my Ladycup stem, but I believe I'm going to trim it down just a bit which will help. As for an internal feeling, nope, nada, nothing. Sometimes when it pops open I feel it just a bit, but that goes away quickly.
Kammioderin
Kammioderin

Back to top Go down

Post  K12404 Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 am

I just started using my Lunette cup. My very first cup was the Diva and it was very uncomfortablet to me. Better flipped inside out. But the Lunette (going off 1 night, and one day) was very comfortable. I could feel the stem a little but nothing big. I decided to change to a cloth pad at the end for the day cause I was a little irritated from the stem, but I think I just need to trim it. But I am also really sensitive. I had to get "used" too tampons and still couldn't use them during the 1st day or so of my period. I also had to get the string just right or I could feel it all day. So I am soooo sensitive and I was very happy with my Lunette. I also think I haven't gotten the hang of placing it yet either. So I think some may feel nothing at all. And some like me need some getting used to but I think the Lunette is better feeling than a tampon.

K12404

Back to top Go down

Post  Curious Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:48 am

Thank you for the replies and answers everyone!

As I mentioned before, my cervix is pretty low. I am sexually active, but not a mother. I usually have a light/medium flow, due to my birthcontrol. This is essentially why I was considering a small-size cup, I just don't think I need a larger one at this point.

I have never had problems with inserting tampons and I never had any sensitivity to them until recently. Randomly in 2009 (after... hm, probably 5 or so years of tampon use without issue?), I started having issues with vaginal infections that wouldn't go away. I stopped using tampons (switched to pads) and the infections stopped. My doctor suggested that the chemicals or materials used in tampons were throwing my system out of balance. I've been using pads for the past few cycles now, but honestly, I can't stand them! So cups seemed like a good alternative, especially given that they are made out of medical-grade silicon.

My only question was if I would be able to feel it constantly, haha. But it seems like none of you ladies typically notice them. Perhaps I've been convinced. Smile I wouldn't be opposed to advice if anyone has any! Thanks again.

Curious

Back to top Go down

Post  K12404 Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Even though this is a cup forum and I love the cups. I also love my cloth pads. That is another option for you. They are sooo much more comfortable than disposable pads. I use both items a Lunette cup and cloth pads. Also explore using sea sponges. There are pros and cons to all these things. But your infections could very well be due to how tampons are made, the fibers they leave behind. But you know pads are bleached and have many chemical too. I also suggest for vaginal health eating a yogurt with several probiotics to help balance out your vaginal "good" bacteria, keifer is good too. Probiotics have been used for a long time to fight yeast infections. You can also get relief from Douching with PLAIN yogurt. Do not used flavored or sugar added!! You can eat flavored but not douch with it. I don't think douching with those chemical ones at the store is a good idea. I also have had a complete horror story with those monostate things, like severe burning and rashes. After you get things balance and stop sending bleached, chemical cotton into your most private delicate area you shouldn't need to doing anything than normal hygiene. Alot of our infections and odors I think come from trying sterilize the vagina then send something up there that is not manufactured sterile, or handled sterile and then on top of it, there are all manners of chemicals being used. Cups, sea sponges, and cloth pads all offer a way to get out of that cycle and stop putting so much waste into the landfills. Gladrags is a good place to see a variety of options and the Femwear site has all manner of cups. There is a post with these links. Check them out.

K12404

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Oh, I do support cloth pads... I'm cosnidering adding a thread for them, perhaps people can post links to good places to buy them, or talk about experiences... It seems they are so often used along with cups, because of the whol envorinmental aspect. Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Curious Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 pm

I was considering buying some cloth pads in addition to a cup, since I have heard that they are much more comfortable than the disposable sorts. Washing them seems like a pain in the butt though! I have a hard enough time motivating myself to do normal laundry as it is. lol But yea, it is an option I've considered in addition to the cups. Smile

Curious

Back to top Go down

Post  K12404 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Small pain but if you get a few items the pain is reduced. To make it easy you need a mess laundry bad (like the ones for bras or socks) and a soaking bucket. I found an awsome one at walmart by mainstay. It's a bathroom trash can with foot pedal lid. Inside is a black plastic bucket with metal handle that lifts out. Just soak your pads in that with some Bio-kleen or similar till ready to do laundry. And if you put them in a mess bag they won't get lost like socks do.

K12404

Back to top Go down

Post  Rheatheylia Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm

I just use my cloth pads like pantyliners so they don't get super messy, but the easiest way I've found to clean them (besides just throwing them in the washer, heh) is to wash them while I'm in the shower, takes maybe a minute and I just hang them in the shower to dry, then the next day when I got to take a shower I have a clean pad in there waiting for me and I wash the one I'm currently wearing. Probably wouldn't work for heavily soiled pads, but for ones you use for cup backup you can go all period only using two or three.
The first time I inserted my cup I could feel it, but after I learned to properly insert it (making sure it was popped open instead of hoping it would pop on it's own) I couldn't feel it at all, they're pretty much like tampons in that aspect, if you have it in right you can't feel it (at least that's been my experience).
Rheatheylia
Rheatheylia

http://www.rheatheylia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Thank you for all the replies and advice everyone! Very Happy I was "Curious", but now I've registered and gotten myself a fancy username and everything! lol

I think I am going to take the plunge and order a Lunette today. It won't get here until after my period has come and gone, but perhaps next month I'll get to try it out. Wink At least this gives me time for some dry runs.
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Always such a momentous occasion when we order our very first cup! Smile And then when you open your mail box and see the package, you almost RUN into the house to rip it open, lol. Its like christmas Smile

Even today I feel that way when I get a new sample. I'm like, ok, I've seen dozens of cups before but... I still can't wait to see this one! lol.
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Melissa569 wrote:

Even today I feel that way when I get a new sample. I'm like, ok, I've seen dozens of cups before but... I still can't wait to see this one! lol.

I can see that you obviously own quite a few, based on the lovely arrangement in your avatar photo! I have to admit, I'm pretty jealous. I have no idea what I'd DO with all of those cups, and yet, I still want them... Funny how that is! lol
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  hairballsplat Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:30 pm

just to chime in: i've got a low cervix (about 2 inches in) and heavy flow and can use a large Diva, large Lunette or large Ladycup (all without stems) easily. good luck with your new cup and cloth pads are great! my favorites are from www.partypantspads.com and from etsy, seller: ladybug9753.
hairballsplat
hairballsplat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Thank you for the recommendations about the cloth pads, everyone! Today I ordered a small Lunette Selene, which I will be anxiously awaiting (geez, how many weeks for shipping from Finland? lol). I will wait and see if I need the added protection of cloth pads. The epic journey begins! Very Happy
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 am

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I did nto need them. But during that first week, it does help to give you a sense of security, without being counter productive Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sekhmet Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Yea, it seems like more of a "security" thing if you are already using a cup. I'm looking forward to being totally confident in my cup's ability to not leak! Although I imagine that may take some time and patience, of course. Wink
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

Back to top Go down

Post  want2use Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:05 pm

How do you know if your cervix is low? I have had 2 children already and has quite a good flow 2 and 3 days. I am interested in ladycup but there is so many, which one should I choose?

want2use

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenBee Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:41 pm

You can reach up and feel it, a lot of people say it feels like a firm nub about the size of the tip of your nose (feels like the tip of yoru nose too)-- it does, but it has a collapsed hole in the center. Very smooth and round. If you can reach it easily, especially during your period, its low.
QueenBee
QueenBee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:44 pm

I would agree with the above poster and also add that if you can reach it, but your finger is far in, like say, to about your knuckle then your cervix is average sized.

Back to top Go down

Post  want2use Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:06 am

So, I must test it only when I have my period or can I do it otherwise?

want2use

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 am

The great thing about cups is that you can wear them whenever you like (although continuous wear is not recommended). You can try it out before your period, to get the hang of inserting and removing it, and you can pop it in when you think you're due to start. Just remember to check and clean it at least eery 12 hours if you're wearing it 'just in case.'
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Post  want2use Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi all,

I just ordered the ladycup today and I am so excited to have it! I havve 2 children and choosed Lotus large. My previuse question about cervix is - when can I see if my cervix is low? Can I feel it only when Ive got period or could I feel it or else?
Will tell you guys how I feel to have the cup.
Thansk for now!

want2use

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 pm

you can check any time, but it's best to also check it during your period, on a heavy day (usually lowest) and a lighter day. Some people need to find it every time they insert the cup.
ankhst
ankhst

Back to top Go down

Can you really not feel them? Empty Lunette Cup

Post  AuNatural Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 pm

After reading everything here I feel confident that I made a good decision ordering a Lunette Cup! I have just discovered that I have a ridiculously low cervix, which explains why tampons don't work well when I use an applicator (I must have been placing them past my cervix!), and am a generally small person anyway. Small Lunette seemed best, and smallest besides the small Meluna. Thanks for sharing all you did here, as it seems like perhaps this might work for me. I was afraid that it might not fit. Here's hoping that it does.

AuNatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down