Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaks and Size Issues(?)

Go down

Leaks and Size Issues(?) Empty Leaks and Size Issues(?)

Post  Newbie Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hi, I need some advice.
I’m 17, virgin and bought my first cup a few months ago -- small Lunette. Since my period is still highly irregular I’ve only had the chance to try it 3 times. The first time it went fine and I had no leaks whatsoever and I could wear the cup for 12 hours without it getting completely full. I preferred though to empty it once I got home from school.

The last two periods have unfortunately been on the heavier side. Much more heavy than usually. I leak after about 4-5 hours, which means that I should empty the cup midday in school (if I don’t it leaves me with a mess later on -- thank god I wore dark jeans today). That would make the cup not much more convenient than a tampon when it comes to that point. And that’s why I’m thinking about whether I should larger cup or not, and whether I chose the wrong cup in the beginning…

I decided to buy the small Lunette because I thought I’d never be able to insert a bigger cup. And that’s true; it was really difficult to insert my cup the first times – but that’s not the case anymore. I think I could handle a larger cup. Especially during these heavier days, as it feels like the vaginal walls are so slippery that the cup loses its grip and it moves to a higher position than where I inserted it. Is that even possible?

I’ve actually also experienced leaks some times when the cup is not even near full. It’s like the blood runs along the side of the cup. I notice it when I feel what seems like air bubbles but it is basically drops of blood. I’m quite confident though that I’ve got the seal right because I always make sure the outside of the cup is smooth and I can twist the cup.

Am I just being lazy about having to empty the cup oftener or would it be worth the money if I would buy a larger cup? How much difference is there between the small and the large Lunette?

Back to top Go down

Leaks and Size Issues(?) Empty Re: Leaks and Size Issues(?)

Post  Melissa569 Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 pm

The large does hold a good amount mroe than small. For a visual comparison between large and small, you can check out my Lunette photo library in this forum: http://menstrualcups.friendhood.net/moderator-s-photo-library-f52/lunette-comparison-photos-t226.htm

Or check the measurement comparisons on my blog: http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com/cup-stiffness-comparison-chart/

I think weather or not its worth the money, depends on how important emptying the cup less often is for you. The large is firmer than the small, si it *should* form a tighter seal.

As for why it leaks on heavy days and when its not completely full-- it may be your cervix comming down low and taking up space in the cup. For an example, see this video:

If that's the case, then a cup with mroe capacity may help. It could also be an angle issue, some women's vagina goes straight back, as in parallel to the floor. But some slope upwards just slightly. You can try different degrees in the angle to see if it helps.

The good news is, even if you decide to go with a large, you can still keep the small for lighter days. Sometimes our cycle is much lighter on the first or last days, so many people like the extra comfort of a small on those days.

Hope this helps,

Melissa
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down