Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with breaking the seal

2 posters

Go down

Problem with breaking the seal Empty Problem with breaking the seal

Post  Devi Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 pm

I just got my Lunette, small and large. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't the the large one to fold small enough to insert. So I switch to the small one and did fine with the origami fold. The worst part is getting it out. I have a hard time breaking the suction seal. I pinched the bottom and the cup just let the air out and actually collapsed together. What did I do wrong? I thought pinching will let the air in, instead, I am letting more air out and make the seal tighter. Then it sort of sucked to the wall of my vagina as I tried coaxing it out. I thought I would pull my skin off or something and it hurts. I did got it out but still don't quite understand the "physics" of how to break the seal. I did break it eventually but not sure how I did it. Help!!

Devi

Back to top Go down

Problem with breaking the seal Empty Re: Problem with breaking the seal

Post  Melissa569 Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 am

Depending on our anatomy, pinching the bottom may or may not release the seal. It also depends how far up the bottom you pinch it. If your body is not agreeing witht he pinch method of breaking the seal, you can try sliding a finger inside, to allow an air channel for the tiny holes to draw in some air. Or you can just grip the bottom (like the very bottom, to where it doesn't really collapse the walls of the cup) and just rock the cup from side to side while gently pulling down. That can break the suction too. It also sometimes helps to tilt mreo to one side than the oterh, such as left, left left, then right. And repeat that. Eventually, one of the holes will get some air exposure that way and the suction shoudl release.

Hope that helps Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Devi Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks Melissa,

I didn't have much luck rocking it left and right, seems a bit too tight to be effective. I resorted to folding it like the C fold to break the seal. Actually the rocking it left and right while pinching created more suction for me Sad . I use a small Lunette although all the advice pointed to using a large Lunette. The large one was too firm to be folded small enough for easy insertion. This is my first time with the cup. I have some small Lady cups coming my way to try out.

I finally did some practicing of the cup outside of my body. I made a ring with my left thumb and index finger. Then I had the cup sitting inside the ring. I then pinched the cup to see how I can break the seal. Yes, pinching the very bottom did not break the seal. I either had to pitch very close to the rim or try a C fold. At least I could SEE what's happening and not doing it blind down there.

Yesterday, I ran into another more serious problem. I found that if I insert the small Lunette far enough, it gave me cramps. By far enough, I mean normal with stem still sticking out at the labia and the base still touchable. The cramp was instant. I went to bed and it seemed to be okay at that point. Then when I woke up, toke the cup out to clean, reinserted and went swimming, it all seemed to be fine. Then the cramps started to get worse and seemed to cramp all the way from lower back to tail bone. It was a muscle spasm type of cramp obviously. I took the cup out and left it out at that point. The cramps still intense but seemed to be improving till I went to bed.

I have a low cervice, when I used the diaphragm, I can easily reach it with my middle finger, that is when I am not having my period. If it moves down during my period, will the small Lunette cup to irritating the cervice too much thus giving me cramps?

When I got the cup earlier this week, the first 2 days when I tried it, I did have it up far enough and I felt the pressure of the cup the whole time with most of the stem sticking out. I did not get any cramps when the cup is sitting low. Just wondering whether I need a shorter cup.

Devi

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Yeah, sounds like your cervix is pretty low. I have a low cervix too, I stick to shorter cups because the longer ones make me cramp a bit more... That may be the issue.

You can try wearing your cup lower, if that hurts less (and if it will stay there, for some it won't). Have you trimmed yoru stem yet? I'm literally so short up inside, I have to trim the step of my small Lunette conpletely down tot he cu's base, and I just rounded it well by fine-trimming with a fingernail clipper. Pretty comfortable that way, and since I'm short I can reach it even without the stem. But of course, never trim mroe than you need to for comfort, ability to reach it is key Smile

Ladycup can be pretty comfortable too, since the body and base are soft. It may help with the crampy feelings. Since it doesn't really have notable grips at the base, a good tip for removal is "keep fingers extra dry". You can keep toilet paper bunched in your hand and just re-dry your fingers a few times during removal. The more dry they are, the better grip you will have.

A shorter cup? Aside from the small Meluna, small ladycup and small lunette are soem of the shortest cups out there. But of course, if you every decide to try a small Meluna, keep an eye on capacity. Doesn't hold much, its best for a lighter flow. Same with small ladycup, due to the lower suction holes. But small Ladycup holds more than small Meluna.

With Lunette removal-- is it possible for you to pinch one side of the cup? Like rather than pinching direactly in the middle, pinch slightly to the left or right? Sometimes that helps to keep from spilling it. It might help with suction too.... Let me know, k?

M
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Devi Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't think I need to trim the stem. It's there but it does really bother me much. Plus it gives me the assurance of "locating" and "gripping" the cup. I use the stem to pull the cup down till I can reach the tip of the body of the cup.

As for the Lunette, I did pinch one side of the cup to break the seal. I pinch and then fold to break the seal. Since there isn't always the "pop" when breaking the seal, I am still too inexperience to tell when exactly the seal was broken. So when I pull it further down, sometimes the suction is still intact.

I also have another issue with the small Lunette, it seems to be pressing on my bladder a lot. I kept getting the urge to urinate and when I tried to empty my bladder, it didn't quite seem to be able to do so. Now I can sympathize with prostate problem with men. Do you think is the size being too wide that irritates my bladder or is it I am putting it in the "wrong" position?

I removed my cup since yesterday after the intense cramping and have not been using it today since the flow was almost non-existent at this point. After a few hours or removal, my bladder felt better and now seems "normal".

If a narrower cup is the solution, I should wait till my small lady cup arrive to try again to see if the bladder and the cramp issue improve.

Devi

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 am

Some people do feel bladder or urethra pressure with certain brands. But Ladycup's bottom and base are fairly soft and thin. Some people with similar problems report less pressure on the bladder and urethra with a Ladycup, so it might actually help that.

With the suction, you will get to know when the suction is broken. For me, its a easy released feeling-- it usually happend when I pinch the base with my middle finger and thumb, and my index inger is along side the cup. So it slike pinching it, while creating an air channel at the same time, for the release holes to draw in air. When the suction finally breaks, my finger kind of dents in the side of the cup into a very slight/partial C fold. I keep the side dented in as I pull down, to keep the seal broken. Keeps it from spilling as I get it out.

Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down