Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A cervix question....

3 posters

Go down

A cervix question.... Empty A cervix question....

Post  girlgonemild Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey Ladies!

I found this board via menstrualcups.org, where I lurked for quite some time before purchasing a cup. On that board, I learned a lot about cervix position and how it can change during your cycle (Melissa's videos were a great help, too!). However, some of the members on that site say that during their period, their cervix is at the opening of their vagina....does that mean that it drops ahead of the pubic bone (like a prolapsed cervix?), or am I defining the opening of the vagina differently than these gals...?

My cervix is rather low-ish, but it is generally tucked right behind my pubic bone, no lower....I sometimes feel like there isn't enough room for my cup on my lower days, and I can't imagine how a cup would work if your cervix dropped very far below your pubic bone. I feel dumb asking this question, but I'm curious cat
girlgonemild
girlgonemild

Back to top Go down

A cervix question.... Empty Re: A cervix question....

Post  Melissa569 Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:17 am

Glad you asked about that. Its not a dumb question, hun. You know what they say-- the only dumb question, is the one that never gets asked Smile

The cervix usually does change position at different times of the month, and your cycle. Some women (myself included) can actually touch their cervix just by inserting the very tip of their finger into their vagina to the first knucle, during their period. And it can take up room in their cup, lowering the capacity. But a cup can still sit around it. While the cervix comes down, the vaginal walls do not ( at least not completely) so there will be some space all the way around your cervix that still extends back. And your cervix would basically be deep inside your cup. The walls of the cup would be reaching up around it.

One common problem women with a low cervix have, is finding a cup that provides capacity, without sticking out of them. Their cervix might take up a lot of room inside their cup during its lowest days, but because it is so low, it can push a longer cup out (a common issue with Divacup). So cups like small Lunette, large ladycup, etc. tend to be favorites for women with low cervixes, due to their extra capacity, combined with a shorter cup body.
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Serpent Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 pm

@ girlgonemild
Are you able to use the cup on these days when it feels like there isn't enough room? i have the same problem Crying or Very sad my cervix doesn't go below the pubic bone but it's right at it. I've used a small Lunette for one cycle, the first three days were great but then my cervix went lower (not typical, i think?). The previous cycle it was low like that for the whole cycle :/ after a day with a cloth pad i did get determined enough to manage to get it in (still don't know how i did that!) but after removal i couldn't reinsert it, fortunately i realized with all the fiddling that i wasn't getting blood on my hands and it was over.

(longer version here http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/2341364.html?nc=6 , i basically need tips for insertion when i can't use my kegel muscles to move it into place.... considering a small meluna but idk)

obviously also asking Melissa for tips! I love you your videos were superhelpful and if it hadn't been for them i maybe wouldn't have experienced the joy of having a comfortable period BEFORE running into problems... i'd certainly be less optimistic now.
you said elsewhere your cervix is also low, but sounds like it's not as low as mine gets when it does cause me problems Laughing
also, what positions lengthen the vagina/make the cervix go higher? do you ever need to do anything to make yours go up a little and how?

Many thanks in advance!!!
Serpent
Serpent

http://serpent-849.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:45 am

Thanks, I'm glad the videos helped. Smile

I'm not sure if we can make it go up, at least not for longer than a few minutes. I've never been able to, at least. And when I tried, it woudl make my cramps worse, lol. So I opted for a small Lunette, because it had good capacity, but it worked well with a lower cervix, because the cup is shorter.
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Serpent Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:47 pm

I just mean I've seen mentions of making the cervix go higher for insertion, even a few minutes would do then Smile it doesn't feel like it's my cervix pushing the cup out, rather i can't insert it deep enough for my kegels to keep it in place while using the bathroom Rolling Eyes
Heard only that masturbation might work, but that's kinda impractical Embarassed
Yeah when my cervix is at least 1cm from the pubic bone my small lunette selene works perfectly I love you
Serpent
Serpent

http://serpent-849.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm

I've heard lots of theories as to why our cervix comes down. Some say its so that there is less distance for the blood to travel to get out. And some say its because of the weight of our uterus filled with blood, weighing down the cervix. I honestly think its both. Especially since its usually lowest on our heavy days, which is when the uterus is most full. Of course I'm not a doctor Smile but it sounds about right.

With me, sometimes it helps get a cup in place, it I sort of nudge it around once its inside, like just wiggle it around a bit. Seems to make it "settle" more.

M
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down