Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with leaking

3 posters

Go down

Help with leaking Empty Help with leaking

Post  mangoldc Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am

I am currently using my Diva Cup for the first time this cycle (I am on Day 4). I have read that if you have it inserted right, there should be no leaks at all. Does this mean that the outside of the cup should always be free from blood after it is removed? I'm trying to figure out how that is possible, especially on heavy days. Isn't some leakage always possible since your flow easily can get on the walls of your vagina, thus getting on the outside of your Diva cup? Also, since I am still new to this, I always use my finger to check that the Diva Cup has completely opened up. In so doing, I always get blood all over my fingers. Is that typical, especially on heavy days?

By heavy, I mean I am filling the cup 3/4 up every 45 min.

I've never had success turnking my cup 360 degrees after I insert it (as stated in the directions that came with it). I can turn it maybe a quarter of the way, then it won't budge. But, I do the finger sweep and it seems that cup has fully opened up.

How do I know if it is inserted far enough in?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

mangoldc

Back to top Go down

Help with leaking Empty Re: Help with leaking

Post  Melissa569 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:14 am

You basically know your cup is in the right place when its comfortable, and sealed properly. For every woman, that may be a different spot or angle, you just have to try certain techniques and see what works best Smile

As for leaking... Sometimes its an actual leak, but sometimes not. There may be a little bit of blood on the outside, but that's just the stuff that was in the vagina either before you put your cup in, or after you took it out, if you squished and moved your cup around a lot. We call that "residual blood". If you have the right cup, and you practice, eventually the amount of residual blood will be less and less. I find that allowing your cup to pop open halfway in, and then coaxing it in the rest of the way actually "scoops up" some of the residual blood on the way up. These small traces aren't really anything to be concerned about, though.

Unless your cup is the wrong size, too full, or your cervix is dipping itno your cup and taking up too much space (thus lessening the caacity), or its not sealing properly for whatever reason-- it shouldn't leak. You cup kind of forms a light seal, and if all is going well, the blood just runs straight down into the cup, without passing by the outer walls. Emptying it mroe often on heavy days prevents leaks. Its just like filling a glass- if you keep emptying the glass right after it gets half way full, it will never over flow. The cup being too full can cause the suction to break, and the contents to overflow.

Hope that helps Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mangoldc Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks, Melissa! That was very helpful! I think I'm getting better at inserting it and feeling like it is in the right place and angled properly. And like you said, the residual blood was less as I got better at it. Very Happy

However, yesterday, I could feel when it seemed like the cup lost its suction and feel like I was starting to leak. I would quickly go to the bathroom and, sure enough, there was some spotting. When I removed the cup, it was only about half full. So, it wasn't leaking because I had waited too long to empty it. Do you know what would cause the cup to do that, to suddenly lose its seal? Or could there be another reason?

Thanks!

mangoldc

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 pm

As far as I know, when a cup leaks without being full, its because its either the wrong size, your your cervix is comming down too low and taking up too much room in your cup, lessening the capacity.

It coudl be the cervix thing combined with a heavy flow, if you're filling it up 3/4 every 45 minutes, that is a pretty heavy flow... Most women with a "heavy" flow, fill it every 2 to 4 hours, or with a lighter period, every 10 to 12 hours. It might be worth a visit to the doctor, to see if there is anything they can do to reduct the flow. I know there are treatments out there for it now. Also, go over your diet and daily routine, make sure there are no medications, foods, or herbal suppliments that could be causeing excessive blood flow (Asprin, feverfew, etc.).

As for the size issue-- What size cup do you use? Do you have children? It might even be worth it to find out if there is a cup with more capacity to buy you more time. Also, remember, with use, women's periods often reduce in flow. I don't have a large Diva, so don't know what the capacity is for that in comparison to others. Here is a wikipedia flow chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

It looks like Large Yuuki and Large Miacup have some of the best capacity. I only have the small ones though.
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  hairballsplat Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

i have a heavy flow (but by far not the heaviest I've read about) and sometimes on my heavy days I can fill my large Diva in under an hour. After I'd used my cup thru three cycles and kept track of how much I lost and how often I emptied, I called my gyn. Turns out there's nothing the matter with me, but it's good to know. (I do have hypothyroidism and have had a tubal...both things that can contribute to heavier bleeding.)
hairballsplat
hairballsplat

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:19 pm

hairballsplat-- thanks for that information, I didn't know about the hypothyroidsim, but its good to have that information here for others to read Smile
Melissa569
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down