Menstrual Cups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain and not able to get in

2 posters

Go down

Pain and not able to get in Empty Pain and not able to get in

Post  melissa Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I went ahead and copied this from my journal on the forums.

So, I tried out my cup last night and it was pretty painful. I tried the C-fold, the 7-fold and the punch down fold. I got it in once and was able to have it pop open. It felt pretty good and I actually tried peeing with it in and it worked awesome. I tried doing Kegels, but wasn't getting anywhere with them. It felt like I couldn't contract my muscles, which is unusual, because I do them all the time! I couldn't really feel it, but I only wore it for about a minute, because it seemed to be riding pretty low(thinking this is normal though). Getting it out hurts too, but it's more of a suction type pull on everything inside. Which I know is also normal! I tried squeezing the bottom of the cup, but it just hurt the opening too much to do so. (wondering if I have vulvodynia? I've always have had slight pain down there when something is going in, but usually subsides-need to talk to my gyn about that).

I tried putting it in about six times in all and only succeeded once. I tried using water to help get the cup in and that didn't help at all. Lube would probably help, but I don't have any. I currently use olive oil on my nether region because of pain/tearing/etc. and was wondering if olive oil could be used with the cup to get it in better? Olive oil is a lube in my book, just not your typical drugstore kind. (I know olive oil or any oil for that matter cannot be used with latex and I've heard varying things about it being used with silicone, so I'm not entirely sure how safe it would be with a silicone cup...)

I'm a bit discouraged and kind of just want to give up. I want to keep trying, but I tear very easily down there and the littlest tear or stretching causes me to look noticeably different(in a way that I don't quite like). I know that probably sounds stupid and vain, but it's how I feel. *sigh* Maybe I'll get it right?

I would love to be able to use a cup, but if it hurts every time I have to put it in, I'm not sure I'm going to want to use it. Tampons hurt still as well and that's one of the reasons why I wanted a cup in the first place.

melissa

Back to top Go down

Pain and not able to get in Empty Re: Pain and not able to get in

Post  Melissa569 Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 am

Careful using oil-based lubes... Oil is really not biocompatable with the sensitive vaginal tissues and Ph levels, its is extremely difficult for the vagina to flush out, and can therefore disrupt the Ph balance and cause infections. If you can manage to get lube, always try to get water based. If you live in the US and you have a "Dollar Tree" or a "99-cent" store near you, they usually carry water based lubes.

As for the pain, its probably good to check with your GYN about that, it could very well be a certain condition. But it could also just be getting the hang of things. Also make sure the angle is correct (going down and back toward the rectum or tailbone, never up).

Getting it in, if your GYN doesn't find any special conditions, I would say study your natural angles a lot. Many women find it easier to insert when they start at the very front of the labia, like near the clitoris, and then guide their way back. Since the skin at the very bottom-outside of the vagina (the perineum) kind of points forward, its easier to get things in when you start from the front and trace your way back. the punch down fold also seems to assist in thes method better, because it makes the tip of the cup small and kind of pointed.

As for removing, have you tried tilting or rocking the cup from side to side as you pull down? That tends to hel break the seal better with some brands. Also sometimes tilting mroe to one side than the other like: To the right, then straight, to the right, then straight... Also bringing out one edge of the rim at a time, rather than the whole thing. I find its more cofortable to ease out an edge from the side, rather than in the front, because the front is where the urethra is, and that can be extra sensitive...
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  melissa Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't use olive oil inside, just on the labia. My gyn recommended it for the problems I was having and I've been doing fine with it. It's actually helped keep infections down, surprisingly and I'm extremely prone to yeasties. There's really only one (water-based)lube I'll ever use and it's expensive and takes awhile to get here! I wish they had more of a selection at the drugstore, but most cause me to get yeast infections or they irritate the crap out of my vagina. Not to mention, it causes yeasties for the boy too, which is also bad, but not pertinent in this case! lol.

I really need to work on the angle. I was probably going up instead of back towars the tailbone. I think I might try that trick with starting at the top of the labia and working downwards instead of just trying to shove it in.

I will also have to try the rocking bit too! I just kind of pulled straight down and that was quite painful.

I appreciate all the help!! We'll see how it goes. I'll probably take it for a dry run now that my period is over.

melissa

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:30 am

I certainly hope all goes well.

Yeah, that glycerine in some of those water-based lubes causes lots of yeast infections. And it irritates. I will NEVER use a lube with glycerine, its a sugar. Same deal with flavored lubes (the sweet flavor comes from the glycerine, or other sugars), those are only supposed to be for oral sex, not for anything penetrating. Its pretty crazy. Personally, I think it should be against health codes to put sugars and/or glycerine in personal lubes...
Melissa569
Melissa569

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down